Shell Rimula R3 10W (CF) • 20L / 209L
Shell Caprinus HD 40 • 209L
Railroad diesel engine oil
Shell Caprinus HD 40 is a 'zinc-free' engine oil for medium-speed diesel engines. It was developed to meet the special requirements laid down for lubricants for the diesel engines in use on American railways requiring LMOA Generation 3 lubricants. Caprinus HD 40 is composed of high viscosity index mineral base oils, with very good oxidation resistance, and a multi-purpose additive package to provide protection against wear, corrosion, fouling and oxidation.
Performance, Features & Benefits
- Good detergency & dispersancy properties
A carefully balanced combination of detergency and dispersancy ensures outstanding engine cleanliness.
- Good oxidation and thermal stability
Good protection against corrosion by the acidic products of combustion.
- Good anti-wear properties
Maintains a protective oil film between pistons and their rings and cylinder walls, even under high operating temperatures and pressures.
- High viscosity index base oils
Provides a higher level of protection than lubricants based on naphthenic mineral oils.
- Railroad medium-speed diesel engines
- Mobile and stationary emergency sets
- Mobile drilling platforms
- Tugs and fishing vessels
- Where ‘zinc-free’ oils are recommended by the engine manufacturer
Specifications, Approvals & Recommendations
- ALCO Div’n of White Motor Co : ALCO Diesel Engine Approval
- API Service Class’n. – CD
- US Military Spec’n. – MIL-L-2104B
- GM-EMD – Field Evaluation Test
- General Electric – LMOA, Generation 3
- For a full listing of equipment approvals and recommendations, please consult your local Shell Technical Helpdesk, or the OEM Approvals website.
Compatibility & Miscibility
- Seal & Paint Compatibilty Shell Caprinus HD 40 is compatible with all seal materials and paints normally specified for use with mineral oils.
Health, Safety & Environment
- Health and Safety
Shell Caprinus HD 40 is unlikely to present any significant health or safety hazard when properly used in the recommended application and good standards of personal hygiene are maintained.
Avoid contact with skin. Use impervious gloves with used oil. After skin contact, wash immediately with soap and water.
- Protect the Environment
Take used oil to an authorised collection point. Do not discharge into drains, soil or water.